Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Profile: Bendigedig is London’s New Wave of Club Kid

A prominent club kid?Felix Magazine is profiling some of the fascinating personalities who add style and panache to London’s thriving cultural scene. These are people who feel free to define themselves as they see fit. What is their story and how has London helped shape it?

Post on our Facebook wall to suggest the person you know who would complement this series of diverse, individual Londoners.

Bendigedig- London’s New Wave of Club Kid

Arts student Bendigedig has found London’s drag scene a whole different world from her upbringing in Wales. Her interests in fashion and photography mean she sees the scene from both sides of the camera lens.

Where do you come from? Answer as you believe best.

I’m originally from Wales and came to London to study and establish myself as a photographer.

How has London changed you and your style?

Creative individuals like myself don’t really thrive in the mountains of north Wales and even though I love my country the LGBTQ scene itself is nonexistent especially up north.

London has helped shape me by meeting other queer creatives and having the chance to work with and inspire one another while also supporting each other in our chosen families.

Describe your current style as you see it.

My style is definitely influenced by Japanese fashion, club kids, and the cyber ’90s rave scene. I love looking eccentric and different every time I do drag. With some looks I don’t wear much other than blue body paint and for others I will be fully covered in plastic spaghetti.

When, how and where did your current style begin to emerge?

Personally it’s about self-expression and most importantly having fun and enjoying the freedom to do what we do without the same restrictions as other places in the world. My style began to emerge a long time ago yet I never used to express it so openly. It was only a year ago while photographing some friends that were getting ready that they suggested I join them as I loved drag so much!

Many criticise London as expensive, crowded and polluted. What is your view?

Of course I can see where they’re coming from yet for me I don’t think London will ever be anything other than brilliant. Especially because I come from such a small-minded Welsh town where nothing really happens queer-wise and when I stay with my parents there’s only one or two buses a day if I’m lucky.

How has London changed you and your style?

I definitely appreciate the big city. Everything is always happening and nothing ever switches off. I always feel lucky to be able to go out and see my friends any time I like.

Where would you recommend for going out?

When going out I’ve always loved WutClub? which is held on the last Friday of every month at Dalston Superstore. The amount of people dressed up sets such a fab vibe. I love hosting there and apart from Wut some other favourites are the Maison Des Fous parties usually at Egg London and the Savage Disco at Metropolis gentleman’s club. My new favourite is G.A.Y late on a Sunday.

Do you think there’s a difference between simply being tolerated and accepted or actually welcomed?

Personally there is a huge difference. I’ve experienced hate and general shit from people yet I always try and keep a level head about it. We tend to stick together but admittedly I have been getting the Tube in drag on my own quite a lot recently. I think most of the time we are just tolerated because people are afraid of what’s different.

There is very rarely acceptance from the people we meet outside the queer spaces but when we do meet those few it gives me hope for people in the future.

Is your style your own or a product of a prescribed formula and ‘wanting to be different’?

I believe my style is my own product and I’ve always strived to stand out in my own way. I love my group of friends because we all do drag so differently and together it really works well. We can appreciate and love one another while also having our own uniqueness. I don’t think I’m narcissistic and always try to help others around me. The scene can be so bitter at times but I have always strived to be a welcoming drag-queen to everyone. Definitely a club kid.

 

Interview by Stewart Vickers @VickHellfire

The post Profile: Bendigedig is London’s New Wave of Club Kid appeared first on Felix Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment