Friday, June 23, 2017

In London: Slink Wray is London’s Glam Goddess

Felix Magazine is profiling some of the fascinating personalities who add style and panache to London’s thriving cultural scene. These are people who feel free to define themselves as they see fit. What is their story and how has London helped shape it? We love Glam Goddess Sophia Wyeth and think you will too.

Post on our Facebook wall to suggest the person you know who would complement this series of diverse, individual Londoners.

Sophia Wyeth (@slink_wray)

Where do you come from? Answer as you believe best.

I’m a London native. I was born in Islington, grew up in Barnet and now live in Peckham.

When, how and where did your current style begin to emerge?

I never really fitted in at school and so as I entered my teens I started using my clothes as a way of consciously distancing myself from the cool cliques. Why try to fit in with people who don’t want you anyway?

My mum has always been quite glamorous and so her generation’s cultural reference points like Debbie Harry, Marc Bolan and Biba have filtered through into my aesthetic.

I had a total “road to Damascus” moment when I first saw the film Cabaret when I was about 14 or 15 –  1970s does 1930s! Showgirls that looked like drag queens! It was the first time I’d seen this style I’d been struggling for, presented and crystallised in front of me.

How has London changed you and your style?

Being born in London has been a blessing in many ways as it’s wonderful to grow up with so many colourful, inspiring people and places on your doorstep.

Many criticise London as expensive, crowded and polluted. What is your view?

On the other hand I do envy people who have roots outside of the town. London is where my family and friends are and will always be home to me but if things carry on in the direction they are then I worry I’ll be priced out of here within the next decade. London has a massively rich smorgasbord of characters and influences and there’s nowhere else quite like it. Fingers crossed it can stay that way!

Where would you recommend for going out?

Running an independent and niche club night or bar is getting increasingly tricky and the subject of small venues being forced to close has been covered extensively elsewhere. In terms of club nights Cherry Bomb (currently held at the Mascara Bar) is good for ’70s glam strutting, and Fontaine’s in Stoke Newington and the Scooter bar in Waterloo are good places to stop for a nightcap.

Do you think there’s a difference between simply being tolerated and accepted or actually welcomed?

Of course. You’re never going to be able to please everyone and I think that’s probably a good thing but as long as you’re welcomed by the people you actually like then that’s the main thing.

Is your style your own or a product of a prescribed formula and ‘wanting to be different’?

Probably a bit of both to be honest.

Are you narcissistic? Are you an attention seeker or can viewers not help but stare?

Ha! I think we’re all narcissists in one way or another.

 

Interview by Stewart Vickers @VickHellfire

 

The post In London: Slink Wray is London’s Glam Goddess appeared first on Felix Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment