Thursday, March 16, 2017

Profile: Holly James Johnstone – Non-Binary Activist

Felix Magazine is profiling some of the figures who contribute to London’s thriving cultural scene. From the most vibrant Drag Kings and Queens to the darkest Goths and Metalheads, retro nostalgics and decadent dandies, we want to hear from you.

This is not about ranking and one-upmanship (democracy hasn’t been the best policy lately…) This is about how free you feel to define yourself in London. What is your story and how has London helped shape it?

Holly James Johnstone @hollyjamesjohnstone

Holly is a champion of non-binary gender. What does this mean? It’s not about he or she, but they. Pronouns are about the person. They are currently studying English at UCL and so has only recently moved to London where their identity has flourished, now bringing her performance of Virginia Woolf’s Orlando to the Royal Vauxhall Tavern.

Where do you come from? Answer as you believe best.

‘Creation ex nihilo’ comes to mind. Some days I believe I’m from the faery realm. But to be factual, I’m from Greater London; follow the Thames west, past Hampton Court.

When, how and where did your current style begin to emerge?

I feel that my current style (glitter, sequins, pink hair, doc martens, turtle necks, ruffs, pleated skirts ect) has been brewing away for quite a few years and that I am only fully beginning to articulate my sense of style now. This also coincides with a growing sense of self. These things take time.

How has London changed you and your style?

London makes you want to dress up! If I’m going for dinner by the Thames in the evening then of course I’ll want to adorn myself in glitter and sequins, I want to sparkle like the light on the river!

Many criticise London as expensive, crowded and polluted. What is your view?

It is expensive, crowded and polluted, there is no disputing that, but it is at the heart of so many great pieces of literature and so many political and cultural movements. Samuel Johnson famously said ‘when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life’.

Where would you recommend for going out?

Dalston.

Do you think there’s a difference between simply being tolerated and accepted or actually welcomed?

Yes, toleration has negative associations to it, as though it is forced, whereas to be welcomed is to be greeted by someone with outstretched arms and a smile.

 Is your style your own or a product of a prescribed formula and ‘wanting to be different’?

Very hard to say, I believe I own my style as in I pull it off (!), but I wouldn’t say my style is entirely my own because it is inevitably influenced by the world around me. Not that this is a bad thing though! I think style emerges from experience and inspiration and therefore there can be no prescribed formula because everyone has different experiences.

Are you narcissistic? Are you an attention seeker or can viewers not help but stare?

Hmmm!

The post Profile: Holly James Johnstone – Non-Binary Activist appeared first on Felix Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment